Saturday, March 04, 2006

There is a Scorpion in the House

Picked up my HP Velotechnik Scorpion from Calhoun Cycle today. Either they are in high demand or they take a long time to build because I ordered this trike 5 months ago in October. Not that I am complaining, I was told at the time that the trike would be shipping in March and was pleasantly surprised when Calhoun Cycle called me on the 2nd to inform me that my trike was in. I ordered my Scorpion equiped with a Rohloff drive train, DT-Swiss SSD 225 ultra light air suspension shock, Magura Marta hydraulic disc brakes, Avid V-brake with thumbshifter for parking with rear wheel, rear rack, BodyLink seat with Airflow-cushion and carbon fiber headrest, speedometer mount, Moonbiker waterbottles, side bags and flag. Calhoun Cycle added a pair of Mirrycle mirrors for me. I purchased the pair of L&M Vega headlights and Cateye TL-LD1000 tail light from Nashbar. The pedals are Crank Brother's Quattro Ti's which I purchased new on ebay. The mini lawn sail I purchased from KitesOnline.com and I have these sails on all my trikes.

The standard Rohloff Drivetrain consists of a Speedhub 500/14 speed internal gear hub, external shift box, single front 52t chain ring, double chain wheel cover, chain tensioner and Speedbone torque support. I special ordered my Scorpion with a 60t chain ring because I wanted more top end and I fealt this was as high as I could go without losing too much on the low end. I was surprised to see HP Velotechnik included a 40t chain ring along with the 60t chain ring in leu of the double chain wheel cover. If I had known that I could have dual chain rings without a derailleur, I think I would have went with a 46t/67t chain ring combination. I spent a lot of time today in the highest gear wanting more top end and this speaks well to the capabilities of the Scorpion.

Update:
After 3 months I finally received my 13t Rohloff sprocket from Harris Cycle. LBS also received my Streamer from HPV so I brought the Scorpion in to have all this work done. Turns out they need a special wrench from Rohloff to replace the sprocket, but they did get the Streamer put on my trike. I picked up my Scropion, but I will need to bring it back in to have the sprocket replaced after they get the special wrench to do the job.

I definitely notice the way it cut through the wind. Without the Streamer, even in a tailwind it feels like you are riding against the wind. Riding in a 10 mph tailwind at 30 mph you still have 20 mph wind in your face. With the Streamer you never feel the wind in your face, whether riding in a tailwind or headwind.

Rohloff SpeedHub with 40t/60t chain rings and 13t sprocket gives me 16.3-128.7 gear inches with 19" diameter tires (Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator). I think this will be perfect!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home